Thursday, October 27, 2011

The Indignity

Registration for next semester's classes are upon us. First of all, it's always difficult for me to focus on my life in 3 months while I've got midterms breathing uncomfortably in my face. Seriously, midterms: take a few steps back and brush your teeth more often. Thus is life. We are never allowed to live 100% in the moment because we always need to look forward. It's our basic human instinct. What's next? What's next?

We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths. -Walt Disney


I am a serious planner. I have 5 different graduation plans saved on my computer, all of them with different variations depending on going on a mission, doing internships, getting a minor in French (Yeah, that's probably NOT going to happen.), getting married and needing to graduate faster, or just going through the motions and graduating in 4 years flat. It's a little excessive, I admit, but it makes me feel like I can somewhat control the future. Funny joke, right?

As I was looking at my registration date online, I was frustrated because I have to wait soooo long to register! Why is this so? I'm a sophomore now and I've been potty trained and everything! Time to take off the training wheels, BYU! Surely I must be moving up the totem pole. To my dismay, this is what I saw:



Can you believe that? Freshman? Me?! No, they must be mistaken. So I called the Records Office, and they confirmed this heinous truth. Even though I am a sophomore in reality, credit wise I am considered a Freshman because I have only taken 28.5 credits and you need 30 to be a sophomore in terms of registration dates. Despicable. So for the next 5 days, I will stop at midnight and think to myself, "Someone is taking a place in my ELang 322 class at 10:00 AM that I really wanted to get into. Cool. Love that person. I hope they enjoy the class."

I realize that I will be able to change around my schedule after I register, but just once I would love to register and get into every single class I want to at the time I want to the first time. One time, I'd love to not have to stalk the registration website for the classes I want, waiting for someone to drop my desired class. One time, I wish that would be the case. Someday. Sigh. Someday.


On the bright side, Coldplay's new CD, Mylo Xyloto, has met all of my high expectations. I highly recommend purchasing this fine display of artistic mastery.

1 comment:

Rosanne Bailey said...

Love you sweetheart! This too shall pass!