Tuesday, November 1, 2011

I am Edmond Dantes

I'm rereading The Count of Monte Cristo (again) and to my delight, I keep finding new nuggets of wisdom every time I read it. I read it once when I was 13, another time when I was 17 and now I am the wise old age of 19. People don't always understand why I reread books, but I love it because each time you read a book, you are under completely different circumstances and are ready to learn different things. Things I wasn't ready for 2 years ago, I am absolutely ready to hear now. 


Growth. Development. Loss of naiveté. Understanding.


Here are a few wonderful quotes that I picked up before, but who knows what I'll find this time around!


“There is neither happiness nor unhappiness in this world; there is only the comparison of one state with another. Only a man who has felt ultimate despair is capable of feeling ultimate bliss. It is necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.....the sum of all human wisdom will be contained in these two words: Wait and Hope.” 


“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.” 


“Abbe Faria: Here is your final lesson - do not commit the crime for which you now serve the sentence. God said, Vengeance is mine. 
Edmond Dantes: I don't believe in God. 
Abbe Faria: It doesn't matter. He believes in you. ” 


Beautiful.

No comments: