Sunday, November 13, 2011

A Nice Aftertaste

Serving a mission for my church has always seemed so exciting to me. As a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, I have grown up watching my older cousins, boys in my ward and eventually my brothers, leave when they were 19 to spend 2 years in a completely different part of the world. Some were called to Brazil, others to Taiwan or Italy. Two of my sisters have also served missions as well. They are all such a beautiful example to me.

When I was younger, I used to tell people I was going to go on a mission but usually in the same breath that I'd also declare my intention to grow up to be a ballerina in the Nutcracker all of my life. I'm glad I abandoned that plan a while ago. Planning for a mission seemed a bit fruitless growing up, however, because it seemed so very far away. 21 years old; it'll be FOREVER until I become that old! I've got plenty of time to think about. Right?

Hold onto your hats, ladies and gentlemen, because I'm turning 20 in 3 months. That means at this point next year, if I've put in my papers, I will probably know where I will be serving.

Did your head explode just a little bit? I was a little dizzy once I realized this fact. Me, a missionary? Is this really happening? One of my best friends, Kevin, is currently serving in Sapporo, Japan and has just passed the half way mark. His letters are my favorite thing to get and I usually end up reading parts of them to everyone I know even though they have no real interest. They are so exciting to read as I watch the progression of his testimony and the missionary work in Japan; it's absolutely incredible! One of my friends, Whitney, who I met last year in Symphonic Band, is currently serving in Berlin, Germany and absolutely thriving in the work. They inspire me so much and help me realize that I can handle a mission too!

Let me just say that I realize things could change in a year. A mission is certainly not for every woman. But I've got to be honest: thinking about a mission gave me one of the happiest feelings I have had in a long time. A really good feeling.

Sister Bailey, a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. It's got a nice ring to it, doesn't it?


No comments: