Sunday, November 6, 2011

These Are Not My Scriptures

Everything was going as planned today. I woke up at a decent hour, took way too long of a shower, rushed to church,  enjoyed the testimonies during Sacrament meeting and I stopped in the ladies' room before going to Sunday school. Sitting in Sunday school, I got out my scriptures to read a verse when I had a shocking revelation. I looked into one of the side pockets and saw an unfamiliar note written in a strange handwriting. That's when I realized what had happened.

These are not my scriptures.

This may not seem like a big deal to some people. I had obviously grabbed the wrong scriptures in the ladies' room and it was just a simple mistake. But it is a very big deal. I love my scriptures! I have all of my careful markings and notes from my Book of Mormon class last year and my D&C class this semester and lots of other insights from my personal study. It's another form of a journal for me. It felt like I had gotten dressed and it wasn't until lunch that I realized that I was wearing someone else's shoes or that I had somehow woken up with someone else's nose on my face. That's how shocking it was.

I realized that I must have switched scriptures accidentally while in the ladies' room. Thankfully, the scriptures are engraved with a name: Anna Toone. Somewhere in BYU land, there is a girl named Anna Toone who has my set of scriptures. I have messaged her on facebook but there has been no response yet. Sigh. 

I hope she treats them well while we are apart, that she feeds it 3 square meals a day and tucks it into bed every night with a hug and a kiss. What if develops Stockholm Syndrome and decides to never come home?!

I wonder if it misses me.

I miss them.

No comments: