Sunday, April 21, 2013

Carbo Load

The end of semesters are always interesting. I have 2 more papers to finish up and I'm hoping that the print shop doesn't screw up the printing of my recipe book. (Sending good vibes to BYU Print and Mail. Don't mess up my pet project!) No matter what, it all ends on Wednesday. In better news, I start my new internship with BYU Religious Studies tomorrow! I'm excited to meet a new staff and gain new skills! I hope it goes well!

There is nothing like finals (or the procrastination of final papers) that makes me want to eat massive amounts of carbs. We had the Andersons over tonight, and we made tasty mini deep-dish pizzas and garlic bread. Oh deliciousness.

I made my favorite Martha Stewart recipe for both the pizza dough and the mini pizzas. Have I mentioned how much I love Martha Stewart? When my friend Emily asked me how I found this recipe, the honest answer was I probably found it when I searched through the Martha Stewart website for hours looking for recipes and craft ideas. This happens occasionally. I love making these when we have company over because people get to help us make their own specialized dinner.

Look how cute it is. They are surprisingly filling!

Martha's Pizza Dough

Ingredients
1 Tbsp. active dry yeast
3/4 c. warm water
2 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, plus more to coat bowl
Directions  
Leave in a warm place until dough has doubled in bulk, 45–60 minutes.

Combine yeast with warm water; let stand 5–10 minutes, or until foamy. Stir well.

Combine flour and salt. Add yeast mixture and olive oil, and process just until dough comes together.

Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, knead for 1 minute, and shape into a ball. Place in a well-oiled bowl, turn to coat with oil, cover loosely with plastic wrap.

Leave in a warm place until dough has doubled in bulk, 45–60 minutes.

Mini Deep-Dish Pizzas   

Ingredients
Olive oil, for muffin pan
All-purpose flour, for rolling
1/2 lb. homemade or store-bought pizza dough
1/2 c. shredded mozzarella (4 oz.)
1 large tomato, coarsely chopped or tomato sauce
Desired toppings (I love ham & pineapple)
Coarse salt and ground pepper

Directions   
Preheat oven to 450˚ F. Brush 6 standard muffin cups with oil.

Roll out the dough until it's about 1/2-inch thick. Use a mug or bowl to create 6-inch circles. Fill each cup with 1 round gently pressing the dough into the bottom and sides of the cup. Season with salt and pepper.

Add in cheese first (this is important so the sauce doesn't seep through), and then add tomatoes or tomato sauce. Add desired toppings and more cheese.

Bake until dough is golden brown and crisp, around 10–12 minutes. Let cool for 2 minutes before removing from cups.

Ooh and aah over how cute and delicious they are.

No comments: