Friday, May 20, 2011

Finding the Itch

I've spent most of my life hating the very idea of running. It was inconceivable to me that people actually run for fun or feel a need to do the same thing repetitively over and over again. Do they also like to watch their fingernails grow?

I decided this summer to finally overcome my prejudices and find out what the big deal about running is. I started a 6 week training program and I'm about to finish week 2.

Here's my plan. Next week, it's going to start getting serious. However, after this 6 week program is up, I will be able to run 30 minutes without stopping. It's a beautiful idea.

There are some things that I've already learned from my limited experience running:

1) There's an unspoken bond between runners. I like to run by Tramway, a major street in Albuquerque, mainly because the streetlights are spaced at a convenient half mile distance. The sides of the trail are also populated with numerous prairie dog holes and it's one my main sources of entertainment watching them sprint across the trail and pop in and out of their hole. Every time I pass a runner, they either nod, smile, wave, give a thumbs up, or my favorite, a solemn salute. I feel like a poser and feel a strange desire to shout at their backs, "I'm not really a runner yet! I only just started...", but I don't. I guess they'll have to be deceived for now.

2) I'm starting to understand why running is not only physically taxing, but also mentally straining. So much of my doubt comes from my own belief of my ability in my head. I can do anything I want as long as I don't allow doubt to control my run.

I'm not sure I've found the addiction yet, the inexplicable urge to run, but I don't plan on stopping until I do.

Finally, my real reason to run, spoken so eloquently by Charles Schulz: "Jogging is very beneficial. It's good for your legs and your feet. It's also very good for the ground. It makes it feel needed."

1 comment:

Theresa said...

So sadly I already gave up on my "Couch to 5K" program-maybe I should try your program! It looks a lot better. I just always feel like Phoebe from "Friends" when I run (and if you don't know the reference, I highly recommend you looking it up on You-tube...or better, coming over and watching it with me!!)