Thursday, May 5, 2011

Pork Chops and Personal Appeals to the Economy

I realize that the economy is bad. I don't need anyone to lecture me on how difficult it is to find a job, how many businesses are going bankrupt, and that none of us are going to have a 401K when we're old and decrepit. I get it, really. But despite that knowledge, I can't help but ask the economy for a little bit of help. Throw me a bone.

I spent all day today creating a resume, emailing my resume to 60 or so advertisements through Craigslist, and running around town putting in my application. I know that's part of the deal; you've got to work hard to find a job these days, even if it's as a part-time associate at a retail store.

I'm just looking for a little success, a feeling that I accomplished something at the end of the day. Well, I did get 3 responses. You ready?

The first was from a company who tried to interview me over Yahoo Messenger from Maryland and tell me about the home based job that included data entry for an obscure medical company. That's a scam waiting to happen.

The second was from a creepy guy who was looking for a Personal Assistant to work from home while he traveled the world. Oh, and I must be available to be reached at "obscure hours" to attend to his personal needs. Pedophile. Next.

The third was from a shopping network that wanted me to review companies by shopping in various stores, and then receiving money online. C'mon.

Needless to say, I was not exactly accepting any "offers" today. But that's okay. You can try to knock me down economy, but I'm not going to give up. I've got stamina, baby. I'm stubborn (ask my parents) and I will prevail. Good always wins in the end.

On the bright side, I did make some delicious Italian Breaded Pork Chops. They were easy, fast, and my one real accomplishment of the day.  Eat this.

Oh boy, I got one more response. This is a good one. He's from London (nice touch), and "dabbles in a handful of ventures" that have apparently made him very successful. He'll be traveling a lot, and so we can communicate through email and messenger. It's a home based job. He'll pay me online. Goody.

The cycle of my day is now complete. Sigh.

2 comments:

S'Acclimater said...

Dang, how are you getting all of these obscure offers? Well, I am so grateful to have a job now. However, do not judge me if I go back to BYU and I know every kind of beer, and alcohol. :/ Not the most pleasant conversation starter at BYU.

Rachel Taylor said...

No one will judge you, Suze, as long as you aren't taste testing them between tables ha ha!