Thursday, June 21, 2012

Oh Hello, Old Friend!

I've been thinking a lot about wedding dresses lately. It's understandable, of course, as I am knee-deep in wedding plans continuously, thinking about the color of tablecloths and the different foods will be at the reception. It is also due to the fact that the TV show, "Say Yes to the Dress" is on Netflix and it's my go-to I-don't-want-to-think-about-homework-or-life-right-now-so-just-let-me-watch-something-frivilous activity. Watching the different episodes and the different brides they showcase, I understand why bridal consultants love their jobs so much. There is something so special about picking out your wedding dress and being a part of that process for so many different brides, helping them find the one they love must be so satisfying! There are many different reactions when the bride knows their dress is the one. Some cry, others can't stop smiling, and others are more quiet in their contentment.

When I finally chose my dress, I felt more of the quiet happiness. It seems quite unusual for me seeing as I tend to be overly emotional about everything under the moon (no joke), and so my reaction to the dress surprised even me. I had been spending a wonderful day with my mom and my sister, Allison, going to several different stores and picking a favorite from each store I went to. I was feeling generally pleased with the dresses I had seen but I felt like I should keep looking. Then I found the dress. From the moment I tried it on, my mom helping me zip and button everything, I felt so peaceful. Walking out to show my sister and my consultant the dress, it's hard to describe my emotions of the dress. It wasn't excitement, per se, or even overwhelming emotion; it was a continuous swell of acknowledgement. This is my dress. It was made for me! Looking in the mirror, it really begins to hit you: this is the dress I will wear when I get married. I fell in love with the dress in an instant and I knew no other dress would compare. As we walked back to my dressing room, my mom and I agreed that this dress seemed to contain the essence of personality, of who I am. I didn't really know that this is what I was looking for until that very moment I found it! We ended up going to one more appointment we had already scheduled that day, but I knew that I had already found my dress.

Waiting for my dress to be shipped has been a long process for me. There were lots of moments of questioning if it will look the same or whether it will fit just right; did I make the right decision? I was on pins and needles until I finally got the phone call: "Rachel, your dress just arrived today." I was ecstatic!

I picked my dress up from the bridal store on Tuesday and it was a wonderful feeling. As I opened the bag to see it for the first time in about 2 months, it felt like I was greeting an old friend. Trying my own dress on initially in the dressing room, even though it is a little big and it still has alterations that need to be done to it, it truly felt like it was my dress. It wasn't some sample that I would have to give back; this is the dress I get to take home with me! I am anxious to finally start the fitting appointments in just 2 weeks but I know that it will turn out just as I have imagined.

That's why I love watching "Say Yes to the Dress". It's about watching and sharing numerous brides' wonderful "aha" moment; we're really getting married! It's going to be beautiful.

2 comments:

Ali :) said...

I'm so glad to hear the wedding plans are going well! :) I'm glad you found THE dress!

Love ya!

Rosanne Bailey said...

So glad to have been part of that day with you sweetheart!