Monday, October 1, 2012

I Believe

It's been an interesting week, one of those self-discovery weeks that brings things into a clear focus.

I started out last week feeling an ache in my heart that seemed to stay with me. The ache became a cloud, and the cloud a fog that wouldn't lift. I talked a lot to my loved ones, prayed fervently every night, and decided to leave it to the Lord.

I had been working on a paper for my New Testament class and I turned to one of my favorite scriptures, John 14:16-20. Reading those verses as I sat on a balcony in the JFSB, I felt the cloud begin to lift. "I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you...the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also. Ye shall know that I am in the my Father, and ye in me, and I in you."

I live a blessed life and  I needed to be reminded of it.

I was reminded when Aaron made a batch of pizza muffins on the night I didn't have the will to cook.

I was reminded when I called my sister-in-law, Brianna, and felt the newly gained distance between us go from 644 miles to 0.

I was reminded when I got my first copy-editing test back and found out that I aced it.

I was reminded as I sat next to a friend during the football game and discussed how we thought our lives would turn out.

I was reminded by the warm embrace of my mom and dad.

I was reminded by the soft licks on my face by the dog who lives upstairs.

I was reminded by the thoughtfulness of strangers.

I was reminded by the sweet outpourings of love from those I care about, from friends I have cherished and others I didn't know I had.

I was reminded by the warm hug I felt in my heart each time I got on my knees to pray.

I am reminded every day by the sun shining on my head and the assuring words of my professors and those who know me best.


"We are what we believe we are." -C.S. Lewis

I believe I am the luckiest girl in the whole world. 


2 comments:

Rosanne Bailey said...

Love you Sweetheart!

Brianna Bailey said...

Love and miss you Rachel! Call me anytime, and I'll remind you how awesome you are and how great you are doing!