Friday, November 9, 2012

Sloppy Rain and Birthday Wishes

Utah decided to start acting like it's winter today. You know the drill: gross rain that sloshes in your shoes as you walk through the puddles on campus, a shift to snow that creates even more puddles. Seriously, I don't even know where the sidewalks are amidst the sea of water.

Some people really love snow. I see them walking across campus, twirling in the sidewalks, tilting their heads backwards with laughter to catch the snow on their tongues, and giving a cheery "Happy Friday!" to everyone they pass. I am not one of those people. I'm the one with my knit hat, winter coat, and obnoxiously fluorescent umbrella, as I try to figure out the optimal degree to hold it so I won't get any snow on my face or my backpack. I don't like this kind of snow, the gross messy snow. I like the snow that falls into perfect, fluffy snow drifts and coats the tops of mountains. I like the snow that makes everything quiet and surrounds your house in a cozy little blanket. To be specific, I like snow when I'm not out walking in it. This snow we have now is loud and sloppy, obnoxious in its attempt to try to be fluffy and pretty like it should be. 

However, today is still a good day because it is my sister's birthday!


Look at the face. How can you help but love her?

2,000 miles on the opposite side of the country in the hip land of NYC, Allison is taking over the world as she landed her first real job this last week! (No, Jamba Juice and Chipotle don't count) I'm so proud of her!! Living with an ornery hedgehog and a wonderful illustrator, I am so happy to see the blessings in her life. It's coming up on their 1 year wedding anniversary---I can't believe it's been a whole year---and I know that this next year is going to be even better than the last. Wish I were there to celebrate with you!

1 comment:

Allison said...

Haha what a beautiful picture! Thanks so much Rachel :) Love you!