Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Spinning spinning



Laundry day. I've never been a big fan of doing laundry. It's shameful to think of how resistant I was to doing laundry at home when all I had to do was walk down the hallway and plop my clothes in. Oh, those were the days. My distaste has grown since I've come to college when it required a trip to the laundry center, rolls of quarters in hand. I can remember horrendous nights during my freshman year when my roommate Suzette and I would start a load of laundry at 11 p.m., crash on the couch for 45 minutes, wake up and drive back over to the laundry mat, change the load, and sleep for another 45 minutes until our loads were done. Miserable, I tell ya. 

That being said, I'm getting more into the swing of doing laundry for two people. I'm longer as embarrassed when I march into the laundry mat by the Little Caesar's, 2 laundry bags in hand and a huge laundry hamper dragging behind me. I no longer have to suppress the need to shout, "I'm married! These aren't just my clothes! We're clean people, I promise!"

Once I actually make it into the laundry mat, I don't really mind the waiting. There's something soothing about watching washing machines clean your clothes. I get a similar feeling when I'm in a car wash, watching the big cloths scraping the mud off of my car. It's a little cathartic. One day, when I have my own washer and dryer in my home, I think I'll look back at my laundry mat days with fondness. Sure it was a major hassle to go drive to do my laundry, but I think I'll miss watching the spinning washing machines. 

No comments: