Saturday, December 22, 2012

Let the Break Begin!

Fall semester is finally over! I'll tell you, I wasn't sure I was going to make it for a while. Aaron tells me that it's a part of my obsessive need to get As in college, a superfluous need that I was sure Astronomy would have squashed that right out of me my first semester of college (Hello failing my first test in college), but apparently I'm still holding onto that dream. When will I learn? 

Once the semester ended, we were immediately off to San Diego to meet the football team to compete in the Poinsettia Bowl! Waking up at 4 AM the first day after finals was a dream come true, really. It's not like we were exhausted or anything. We piled 240 people onto 5 charter busses and made our way to San Diego. 12–13 hours later, we finally made it to our beautiful resort, Paradise Point. It was so beautiful!



We did a lot in San Diego from Monday to Thursday: a parade at the Gaslamp Quarter, performances at USS Midway Aircraft Carrier and tailgates before the game, sea lion watching at La Jolla beach, and lots and lots of eating. We also made a stop at SeaWorld, and I managed to put aside my distaste for the treatment of the sea animals long enough to enjoy our trip! Hello killer Shamu

The football game was very typical of BYU: horrendous first 3 quarters and a fabulous 4th quarter. After all of the nasty fans who swore at us and made disgusting gestures at the band, it was very satisfying to thoroughly destroy them in the game. My favorite sign of the game:


My career in band is officially over. I've had 11 years of band filled with private lessons, middle school band, high school band, and college band. With one last BYU fight song, it was all over. Marching Band has been one of the best things I've ever done. I've met almost all of my best friends there and I even met my husband in band! Call it bizarre, but I can truly say that I've had the time of my life performing throughout my life. It's been a good run.


After a quick visit with my grandparents in Seal Beach and a 12 hour drive with Jared and Brianna to ABQ, my relaxing Christmas break can finally begin!

No comments: